Reconnect depends on the generosity of donors to make needed purchases and sustain programs and activities not financed by our major funders. One of the items we raise funds for are the Reconnect FAMEkids Safe Kid Kits.
On the final day of the FAMEkids group sessions, each child receives a Safe Kid Kit: a backpack filled with items to help them succeed and deal with their situation.
Safe Kid Kits include:
- Toiletries (toothbrush, toothpaste, floss, Kleenex, hand sanitizer, face cloth)
- Art supplies (sketchbook, notebook, pencil case, pens, pencils, erasers, sharpeners, markers, colour pencils, stickers)
- Seasonal items (mittens and gloves in the winter, socks, baseball cap in the summer)
- Toys and personal objects (stress ball, deck of cards, small toy, small non-perishable snack)
- Other materials (affirmation cards, feelings cards, safety plans, emergency contact cards)
These items are tailored to each child’s needs and personality. The backpack allows the child to make use of the ideas and tools gained through FAMEkids even after the group program has ended.
For children who know someone experiencing a mental illness, these backpacks provide a practical toolkit and a physical reminder of the support available to them. Many children who participate in Reconnect FAMEkids are identified as being marginalized or at risk and often are not living in their own homes. This backpack makes kids feel special and recognized.
Your donation to Reconnect will help us provide more children and youth with the tools and supports they need.