Reconnect Community Health Services respects your privacy.
Your confidentiality is maintained through our protection of your personal health information and other personal information.
Your consent is required for information to be used for your care by Reconnect staff or shared with anyone other than Reconnect staff,
except where Ontario’s privacy legislation allows.
How does Reconnect use your personal information?
Reconnect uses your personal information for:
- Providing health care and related services to you
- Referrals to other related programs for you
- Planning, delivering and evaluating programs and services
- Quality assurance
- Reporting aggregate information and statistics to funders
- Payment or processing payment for provision of health care
- Research conducted by Reconnect (in accordance with privacy legislation)
- Other purposes permitted or required by law
Reconnect may disclose your personal information to other service providers in order to ensure that services provided to you are coordinated and responsive to your needs. It is Reconnect’s practice to follow what is called an “assumed implied consent model,” meaning that unless a client tells us not to, we share their personal health information with their other health care providers without asking for consent each time we do so. We do this because it is a more efficient way to ensure clients get the care they need. All clients are informed of this model at the outset of service, and each client has the right to tell us not to share with anyone they so choose, and to change their mind about sharing at any point. Reconnect will share your personal information if required to do so by law (e.g. subpoena).
How do we protect your confidential information?
Reconnect uses reasonable physical, administrative and technical safeguards to protect your confidential information. These include:
- A secure electronic health record which is password protected and may only be used by authorized staff
- Securely shredding materials that are no longer required
- Activity logging and central desk control for visitors
- Ongoing privacy training for staff
What are your privacy rights?
You have the right to:
- Request access to your health record
- Request that inaccurate information in your health record be corrected
- Request that your personal health information not be shared
- Be told if your personal information is lost, stolen or shared without authorization
- Withdraw consent to share/use your personal information
- Challenge our compliance with privacy requirements
- Speak to Reconnect’s Privacy Officer about any concerns or complaints about how your personal information is handled.
Reconnect’s Privacy Officer
Privacy Officer, Reconnect Community Health Services
1281 St. Clair Ave West
Toronto, ON M6E 1B8
Main Line: 416-248-2050
Fax: (416) 248-6557
The Information and Privacy Commissioner/Ontario
If you have any issues or concerns about how your personal health information is being handled, you have the right to contact the Information and Privacy Commissioner of Ontario at:
Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner of Ontario
2 Bloor Street East, Suite 1400
Phone: (416) 326-3333 or 1-(800) 387-0073